Good for strength, energy, kidneys, spleen, and tummy…a real all-rounder for the cold winter blues. Make this after work as a quick, comforting warmer or on a cold weekend evening whilst watching your favourite television programme. Whenever you make it, you will just feel the youth!
TOM KA KAI SOUP
- 800 ml coconut milk (light or not, the choice is yours)
- 500 ml chicken stock (the fresher, the better)
- 2 small red chillis, deseeded and sliced into rounds
- 4 stems lemongrass
- 1 inch piece of root ginger, cut in half
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 chicken breasts, boned, skinned and cut into strips
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Bring the coconut milk and chicken stock to a slow boil in a large pot. Add the chopped chilli, lemongrass, root ginger and lime leaves to the pan and simmer very gently for 20 minutes.
Add the chicken strips and simmer for a further 10 minutes (or just until chicken is cooked and tender). Remove the root ginger and lime leaves with a slotted spoon.
Add the spring onions, lime juice and serve garnished with fresh coriander.
Optional Extra: Add some dried rice noodles after you add the chicken for a more filling meal.
Enjoy, be warm, and feel younger this winter!