The benefits :
– Vitamins A, B and C, carbohydrates, potassium, and antioxidants, including amino acids which help keep arteries and blood flow to our hearts young.
– Amino acids that act like Viagra, lower blood pressure, and improve insulin sensitivity.
– Lycopene and vitamin A, excellent nutrients for improving eye health. Watermelons contain a higher source of lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable, preventing macular degeneration.
– B vitamins providing natural energy (perfect before a workout, keeping you hydrated whilst exercising).
– High concentration of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant helping your immune system stay robust and protecting cells from damage, helping us stay younger longer!
How to pick a good watermelon :
– Look for a firm, symmetrical watermelon free from bruises, cuts or dents.
– It should be very heavy (watermelon is 92% water).
– The underside should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground to ripen in the sun.
– Combine watermelon, cucumber and cantaloupe for a summer salad
– Puree watermelon and place in popsicle molds. Freeze until you have refreshing melon-pops
– Combine kiwi, lime juice and watermelon in blender for a beautiful summer drink
– Top lemon yogurt with watermelon cubes!
– Puree watermelon, kiwi and cantaloupe and mix with Greek yogurt for a summer gazpacho
– Watermelon mixed with feta, thinly sliced red onion, salt and black pepper makes a great summer salad
– Blend 1 cup of watermelon and combine with 1 shot of tequila for a healthy low calorie margarita!